Easy-Stow Island Senior Hockey League

PEI's Community Senior Men's Hockey League

McIver delt back to Canucks

Admin
    Admin

McIver delt back to Canucks Empty McIver delt back to Canucks

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:23 pm

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. --
    Nathan McIver of Newton, P.E.I., is headed back to the Vancouver Canucks' organization.
    The Anaheim Ducks dealt the 24-year-old defenceman to the Canucks in exchange for forward Mike Brown on Wednesday.
    Ironically, the Ducks claimed McIver off waivers from Vancouver on Oct. 4, 2008.
    "I'm really excited," said the six-foot-two, 205-pound McIver, who was selected in the eighth round, 254th overall, by the Canucks in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. "I got to play some games in the NHL in Anaheim, but I wasn't getting to play a whole lot, especially the last couple of months.
    "I think I needed a change and am happy to be going back to Vancouver."
    McIver, who had been assigned to Anaheim's American Hockey League affiliate in Iowa earlier Wednesday, will report to the Canucks' AHL team in Winnipeg. He spent parts of three seasons with the Manitoba Moose from 2005-06 to 2007-08.
    And while some players may be disappointed going from the NHL to the minors, McIver is looking forward to getting lots of playing time with the Moose.
    "That's the biggest thing right now," said McIver, who had one assist and 36 penalty minutes in 18 games with the Ducks. "I've only played 18 games right now with a limited amount of ice time.
    "I need to play some games, play some big minutes in all situations and hopefully get a chance up in Vancouver before the year's over."
    The son of James and Karen McIver said he enjoyed his time in Southern California with the Ducks.
    "It's a great place to live and a great organization," said the Kinkora Regional High School graduate. "I wish it could have worked out better, but they decided to go with different guys.
    "I'm excited about going back to Vancouver, back where it (pro career) started."

jpsports@journalpioneer.com

Vancouver, B.C. –
    Vancouver Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have acquired defenceman Nathan McIver from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for right wing Mike Brown. McIver will report to Manitoba.

McIver, 24, has spent the 2008-09 season with the Anaheim Ducks. In 18 games played, McIver registered one assist, was +2 and recorded 36 penalty minutes. Prior to joining the Ducks, the Summerside, PEI native was a member of the Vancouver Canucks. In 18 games played with Vancouver, McIver recorded 59 penalty minutes.

He also played a key role for the Manitoba Moose over the span of three seasons. Since 2005-06, the 6’3”, 205-pound defenceman has played in 172 games, recording 16 points (5-11-16) and 402 penalty minutes for Vancouver’s AHL affiliate.

McIver was drafted 254th overall by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

Current date/time is Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:22 am