Easy-Stow Island Senior Hockey League

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Easy-Stow Island Senior Hockey League

PEI's Community Senior Men's Hockey League

Avery takes next step back to NHL

Admin
    Admin

Avery takes next step back to NHL Empty Avery takes next step back to NHL

Post by Admin Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Tuesday, 02.10.2009 / 12:08 PM / News
    By Shawn P. Roarke - NHL.com Managing Editor

The Dallas Stars assigned forward Sean Avery to the American Hockey League's Hartford Wolf Pack on Tuesday morning, taking the next step in the long process of finding a new home for the troubled winger.

Avery cleared waivers Monday at noon, opening up the avenue of playing in the AHL. But, because Dallas does not have an AHL affiliate, the task of finding a home for Avery was far more complicated.

Glen Sather, the general manager of the New York Rangers, eventually agreed to let Avery be assigned the Wolf Pack, which is the Rangers AHL affiliate. Avery played for the New York Rangers last season before signing a four-year, $15.5 million deal with Dallas this summer as an unrestricted free agent.

"Sean and the Dallas Stars approached me looking for an American Hockey League team for him to resume playing, and I am happy to provide him with the opportunity to continue his career," Sather said in a statement.

Avery took part in Hartford's 70-minute practice Tuesday afternoon, wearing a red No. 16 jersey. Avery wore that number this season with the Stars, as well as during his tenure with the Rangers. There is a chance that Avery could play for the Wolf Pack on Wednesday in a home game against Manitoba.

He has been out of hockey since incurring a six-game suspension on Dec. 2 from the NHL because of inappropriate comments he made about the personal lives of other NHL players. In the wake of that suspension, Avery agreed to undergo anger-management counseling.

Now, Avery is looking forward to resuming his hockey career. He sees the assignment to the Wolf Pack as the first step in that journey.

"I would like to thank Glen Sather and the Rangers organization for giving me the chance to resume my hockey career by affording me this opportunity with the Hartford Wolf Pack," Avery said in a statement. "I am looking forward to getting back on the ice, working my way back to the NHL and playing the game I love."

He also said that he would not make any further public comments during his time with the Wolf Pack, however long it lasts.

"While I appreciate the many interview requests, at this point in time, I would like to focus on hockey and will not be making any further statements while with the Wolf Pack," he said.

Avery was cleared by doctors to resume his hockey career last week; but, by then, the Stars had made it abundantly clear that they were ready to part ways with the controversial figure.
    "Sean was a good player for the Rangers during his time here and has worked extremely hard off the ice over the last two months. He remains under contract to and property of the Stars, therefore, any further comment would be inappropriate." -- Rangers' GM Glen Sather
    He was placed on waivers Saturday and cleared Monday when all 29 NHL teams refused to make a claim. Any team making a claim before Monday at noon would have been responsible for the full value remaining on Avery's four-year deal

The fact the Stars have a record of 12-7-3 (27 points) since Avery's suspension only reinforces the notion that the club is eager to shed itself of Avery. Dallas was just 8-11-4 with 20 points in the 23 games in which Avery appeared, cementing its status as perhaps the most under-performing club in the season's first half.

Avery had three goals, seven assists and what was then a league-high 77 penalty minutes in his 23 appearances with the Stars. He never meshed with his new teammates.

Avery's assignment to the Rangers' top affiliate only further intensifies the speculation that Sather is contemplating adding Avery onto a roster that has struggled recently. With Monday's 3-0 loss to rival New Jersey, the Rangers have not won in their past five outings and have been outscored 21-5.

The Rangers could either trade for Avery while he is in the minor leagues or he could be claimed on re-entry waivers when Dallas attempts to call Avery back to the NHL. In the latter scenario, the Rangers would only be responsible for half of the remaining salary -- and cap hit -- remaining on Avery's four-year deal. Dallas would be responsible for the other half.

Sather, however, refused to elaborate on his plans for Avery in Tuesday's statement.

"Sean was a good player for the Rangers during his time here and has worked extremely hard off the ice over the last two months," Sather said. "He remains under contract to and property of the Stars, therefore, any further comment would be inappropriate."

Avery was an integral part of the Ranger club that made it to the second round of the postseason last season, combining an agitating style with some timely offense to become a key cog for coach Tom Renney.

In 57 games last season, Avery had 15 goals, 33 points and 154 penalty minutes. He had four goals and seven points in eight playoff games last season. For his career, the 28-year-old has 68 goals, 177 points and 1,144 penalty minutes in 402 regular-season appearances.
    Admin
    Admin

Avery takes next step back to NHL Empty Rangers' Dubinsky, Drury open-minded about Avery

Post by Admin Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:17 am

Tuesday, 02.10.2009 / 1:35 PM / News
    By Adam Kimelman and Shawn P. Roarke - NHL.com Staff Writers

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- The news that Sean Avery had been assigned to the Hartford Wolf Pack, the New York Rangers affiliate in the American Hockey League happened during the Rangers Tuesday morning practice at their training facility here.

Not surprisingly, Avery's new home was a big topic of conversation when the Rangers came off the ice. Speculation is that Avery will join the Rangers -- either on re-entry waivers or through a trade -- before the March 4 trade deadline.

Neither Brandon Dubinsky nor Chris Drury was opposed to that idea when it was suggested. Both players, however, stressed that nothing was a done deal yet.

"Hockey-wise we can't comment on him, he's still Dallas' NHL property," Drury said.

Although he is now with Hartford, Avery remains property of the Dallas Stars until he is traded, lost to a re-entry waiver claim or bought out by Dallas at the end of the season.

"When he was here he was a good player for us," Dubinsky said. "Nothing is set. We're focused on the group we have in here and getting the job done. Let the management take care of the personnel decisions, and take it from there.
    "I don't think anyone is pig-headed enough or stupid enough not to take someone back, to forgive and move on. We've all made mistakes. There's not one person in this room who hasn't made a mistake." -- Chris Drury
    "He was a great player for us when he was here, but he's not on our team right now. We have to work with who we have and find a way to win with or without him or with or without anyone else. We have to make sure we take it upon our shoulders to get back to work and get the job done and put some wins together."

New York is 0-4-1 in its last five games, including a 10-2 loss to the Stars this past weekend and a 3-0 loss Monday to rival New Jersey.

As Dubinsky said, pulling out of the current tailspin is top priority, but there is no escaping the specter of Avery, who was often larger than life in his one-plus season with the Rangers.

Drury, the captain, knows the Rangers will welcome Avery back if they believe the forward can help them salvage what was once a very promising season.

"I don't think anyone is pig-headed enough or stupid enough not to take someone back, to forgive and move on," Drury said. "We've all made mistakes. There's not one person in this room who hasn't made a mistake."

Regardless of what happens, Drury is happy to see that a former teammate is putting the pieces of his hockey live back together.

"(I) just think as far as his rehab and everything he's gone through, apparently he's done well at it, things are going good, and everyone is happy for him in that regard," Drury said. "From what you hear and what you read, and what you guys say, everything has gone well. I have no reason to think differently. Now that he's back on the ice, we'll find out for sure."

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:17 am