Easy-Stow Island Senior Hockey League

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Easy-Stow Island Senior Hockey League

PEI's Community Senior Men's Hockey League

Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie)

Poll

08/09 Rookie of the Year

[ 2 ]
    Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_left18%Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_right [18%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_left18%Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_right [18%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_left9%Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_right [9%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_left9%Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_right [9%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_left0%Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_left0%Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 2 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 11
    Poll closed
    Admin
    Admin

Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Empty Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie)

Post by Admin Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:20 am

The Rookie of the Year Award is an annual award given "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the Easy-Stow Senior Hockey League."

To be eligible for the award, a player 24 years old or younger by September 15 of their rookie season and cannot have played any more than 7 games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six games in two separate preceding seasons in any senior league.

History

The Cahill Memorial Trophy, named after former Summerside Crystal Charles Cahill, is awarded to the Easy-Stow Senior Hockey League player judged to be the most proficient in his first season. Cahill played 6 Seasons in PEI-Sr. hockey playing 44 games, Scoring 50 goals and 31 assists, accumulating 81 points in his PEI-Sr. hockey career.

Cahill was the first islander from Canada's east coast to play in the NHL, though his career lasted just 31 games in 1925-26 and one more game the following year with Boston.

He had played his career with Summerside, but the Bruins signed him on December 1, 1925. But the right winger did not score a goal all year despite leading his senior team each of the previous three seasons. The Bruins demoted him to New Haven, but after five years in the minors he turned to refereeing as a way of staying in the game. His life and career came to an horrific stop, though, when he was found guilty of vehicular homicide for his part in a car accident which caused the death of a pedestrian, and he spent most of the next two years in jail.

Older and wiser, Cahill returned to PEI and played senior hockey for four more years before retiring.
    Admin
    Admin

Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie) Empty Re: Cahill Memorial Trophy (Rookie)

Post by Admin Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:36 pm

I put together a list of the players that I could think of off the top of my head, for the rookie of the year poll, who i think are all in there first season of the Easy-Stow Senior Hockey League.

If anyone knows of a name I have left off that you feel deserves to be added to this, or you think should be taken off, please send me a message and let me who and the reason why and I'll make sure to get the name onto the list.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:42 pm